Saturday, January 31, 2009

Final Birds of January

I have two more birds to add to my year list and I have only my own absentmindedness to thank. I worked today, the last day of January, and only had a morning group. I finished up and headed into the kitchen at the nature center to have a late lunch only to discover I didn't have anything to eat in the fridge. I decided to head down to Stillwater for lunch and spend the afternoon working from a coffee shop. Near the intersection of Co. Rd. 7 and where Norell continues South, I spotted a flock of birds on the shoulder of the road. I pulled over and was delighted to see they were all American Tree Sparrows. I would have preferred some lapland longspurs or horned larks but I'll take what I can get. Half-way to Stillwater I saw a lone Mourning Dove on a telephone line. That's two new birds for the year. Chelsey thinks she saw a purple finch mixed in with the house finches at home so I need to watch out for that as well.

2008 Running Bird Tally
25. American Tree Sparrow
26. Mourning Dove

No comments: